View Single Post
Old 20th September 2017, 05:22 AM   #95
calebprime
Penultimate Amazing

Meh. Not enough solid info. I'm inclined to believe that bugging devices might be installed in the embassy like they were in the U.S. embassy in Moscow. But there's no reason a bugging device should cause any kind of injury.

There was a quote about reports of "grinding noises" at night on NPR this morning, but that's something different.

Alarm systems sometimes emit high frequency sounds (just north of 20k) that can be heard by some people -- they feel like an uncomfortable nearly inaudible pressure. I used to be one of them, in my 20's and 30's, but no longer. My hearing tops out at 12k. But that could easily be detected and recorded and fixed.

The U.S. used noise as a harassment technique -- both in interrogations and when they went after Noriega in Panama. But again, a red herring, unless the fiendish Cubans are trying to keep our diplomats up with the sound of garbage disposals, or something. Makes no sense.

If the U.S. people were seriously concerned, it seems trivial for them to call in a technology expert with some recording devices to witness the "attacks". But that didn't happen, or we'd have solid explanations.

It's bizarre that we have senior officials commenting about this without anyone knowing what they're talking about, apparently. eta: Ok, maybe not so bizarre any more. Par.

As someone who experiences sound very vividly -- as something very solid and real and understandable -- this case intrigues and frustrates me. I'm pretty curious how it will all turn out: Probably it will just fade away without us finding out what really happened.

Last edited by calebprime; 20th September 2017 at 05:24 AM.
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top