View Single Post
Old 8th July 2019, 10:13 AM   #41
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I read through the indictment. What I can't tell from it is how it relates to his previous charges. In particular, is this a completely separate group of victims from the ones he was charge with abusing before? That would make sense, in terms of not having to deal with the previous plea or with double jeopardy, but the indictment itself makes no mention of the previous deal so there's still some ambiguity, at least for those who haven't closely followed this horror show.
As noted it's hard to keep the timeline straight here so to speak, but the statement from Geoffrey Berman, the Attorney General for the Southern District of New York where he says:

“Jeffrey Epstein entered into a non-prosecution agreement with the Southern District of Florida, that agreement only binds, by its terms, only binds the Southern District of Florida. The Southern District of New York is not bound by that agreement and is not a signatory to that agreement.”

... leads me to believe these are the same crimes, but a different jurisdiction moving forward with him. Epstein made a deal with Florida, not New York.

But this case is already shaping up to be an absolute nightmare quagmire of jurisdictions, timeframes, plea deals so... *shrugs* who the hell knows. I doubt even if the indictment is ever fully unsealed we'll get a full grasp on it.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top