View Single Post
Old 11th November 2020, 03:32 PM   #210
Egg
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
More a case of pushing back against assuming malice and idiocy on the part of "them". Regardless of who "we" are.

Unfortunately, it's something that humans are highly prone to do. We create "others" and then we demonize them. It's deep down in there. It takes effort and will to overcome it, at least somewhat.
Sure. Hence why I'm seeing ignorance as the more humanizing explanation. I mean, if I believed some of the stuff they seem to, I'd be angry too. I think we have more shared values than we think, but not so much shared facts.

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Yes, there's another option. There's also the perspective of the tradeoff in place between semi-lockdown with very limited business functionality in order to prevent disease spread... and the economic impact (which may be a long term thing) of those limitations. For some people, it's not a case of ignorance, it's a case of their risk assessment.

I can empathize with that view. I'm in a pretty safe position, able to work from home in an industry that's not going under from covid shut-downs and limits. But I know people who've had their businesses go under, who have been let go, who have had massive reductions in their income as a result. For them, the risk of getting sick doesn't outweigh the risk of losing their homes and their income and going bankrupt.

For many people, when they say "Covid isn't that big a deal", they're not saying that people aren't getting sick and some dying. They're saying "I don't know anyone who has died from this personally... but I just lost my job and I won't be able to pay my mortgage and there's no new job in sight for me for the foreseeable future, so the tradeoff isn't worth it."
I can empathize with that too, but there's a difference between finding the best restrictions vs economics balance and actually spreading false information about what we're actually dealing with, which is a pretty key factor in making such risk assessments (and not personally knowing someone who died is reason to be thankful in such crappy times, not to doubt statistics).

ETA: To be clear, when I say downplaying, I'm referring to "no worse than the flu", "only 6% of the reported deaths are covid", "doctors lie about the cause of death to get more money" - you've surely heard these kinds of things from Trump supporters?

"That's the thing with eggs: It's all about chicks and getting laid." - Wuschel
"A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg" - Samuel Butler
“When arguing with a stone an egg is always wrong” - African proverb
“A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked” - Bernard Meltzer

Last edited by Egg; 11th November 2020 at 04:01 PM.
Egg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top