View Single Post
Old 29th December 2012, 03:34 AM   #8
Robert Prey
Banned

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
The big problem I see in the American system of government is that it's too easy to block votes.

Right now, I'm thinking of the fiscal cliff talks, but it's not just the fiscal cliff. Nevertheless, I'll use it as an example.

President Obama has a proposal on the fiscal cliff. It includes tax hikes and spending cuts. Suppose you were to turn it into a complete legislative package and put it to a vote in the Congress. Why don't they just vote on it and see what happens?

A one sided argument. There are no spending cuts in O's "plan". Only tax hikes and empty promises. The house has passed a complete budget extending the current tax rates for everyone. It is Harry Reid and the Senate that refuses to put it to a vote. Harry Reid's Senate is required by law to pass a budget each year. They have failed to do so in nearly 4 years. A tyranny of the majority tends to trample on the interests of the minority. That's the point of such rules -- to protect the interests of the minority.
Robert Prey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top