View Single Post
Old 29th December 2012, 09:15 AM   #11
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
The big problem I see in the American system of government is that it's too easy to block votes.

Right now, I'm thinking of the fiscal cliff talks, but it's not just the fiscal cliff. Nevertheless, I'll use it as an example.

President Obama has a proposal on the fiscal cliff. It includes tax hikes and spending cuts. Suppose you were to turn it into a complete legislative package and put it to a vote in the Congress. Why don't they just vote on it and see what happens?

The thing is, Boehner and McConnell can each block a vote in their respective houses, and they are doing so.

Why would you ever block a vote on anything? There is only one reason. You block a vote because that vote would pass. If it would fail, there's no harm in allowing a vote. Right now, there are a huge majority of Democrats and enough Republicans who would prefer the President's proposal to the fiscal cliff, so Boehner can't afford to allow it to the floor, where it has the votes to pass. He can't afford that because.....er......uhmmm......well dang it it just wouldn't be right! Just because a majority of the representatives want something doesn't mean......err....uhmm.....It's my House and I make the rules!

It shouldn't be so easy to block votes. In the House, the speaker can basically block any vote he wishes to block. In the Senate, it's even easier to block votes. Because of that, we get cliffs.
Not nessacarily. You might want to block a vote to prevent your side from having to vote against it, as you are worried how that might be seen in several years. They might vote against it and it would fail, but it could cost them in future elections.

It isn't simply one thing or one reason.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top