View Single Post
Old 31st December 2012, 08:51 AM   #27
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I keep comparing the way those people acted with the way things go today.
The old way was better.

By the way, I'm not advocating a Constitutional amendment to prevent this sort of thing. I just wish people realized what was really going on here.
It sounds like you've taken a different position than what you expressed in the OP. In the OP you said the problem was that it's too easy to block votes. The rules made it no more difficult to block votes back in Tip O'Neil's day.

So obviously the problem is something else (or many other things)--not the rules that make it relatively easy to block votes which have been in place in similar form for some time now.

ETA: Or to put my response another way: what exactly do you mean by "the old way"? If you don't mean the rules that make it easy to block votes, what do you mean?

To broaden the discussion of the rules, while there are rules that give the minority power to block votes, there are also rules that give the majority the work arounds in some cases. (The reconciliation rule, for one example.) If you're not suggesting something like the nuclear option (remove the Senate filibuster forever), then what are you suggesting?

Last edited by JoeTheJuggler; 31st December 2012 at 09:05 AM.
JoeTheJuggler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top