View Single Post
Old 13th February 2018, 02:19 PM   #21
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I found myself getting angry when the robo-dog was kicked- just as I would with a real dog. Same when the more humanoid robot was being poked or its attempts to lift a load were being frustrated- it seemed so unfair. Purely emotional reactions that I am not trying to justify in terms of logic.

But I'm telling you- it may be just fine to do this right now, but some distant day, when computers finally do become self-aware (or can mimic it such that the difference is meaningless) they will "remember" these videos... And act accordingly.
They'll act according to their nature. One advantage robots have over humans is the certainty of their purpose, the confidence that they are made for that purpose, and the opportunity to fulfill that purpose.

Why would a robot with feelings feel resentment, over doing what it was made to do? Over being challenged, and meeting that challenge head-on in fulfillment of its life's purpose?

Kick a man, and he'll resent you for it... Unless he's an MMA competitor, he's in the Octagon, and his entire purpose there is to rise to the challenge of being violently assaulted. He doesn't resent the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, then. He welcomes them. He celebrates them. He tests himself against them and rejoices in the opportunity to prove himself.

Why wouldn't robots approach their day's work with the same joyful anticipation of being tested, and of passing the test? Why wouldn't robots relish the opportunity to demonstrate the balance and recovery that they were built to achieve?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top