View Single Post
Old 15th May 2019, 02:31 AM   #138
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by jonesdave116 View Post
The English Electric Lightning was one hell of a plane. Brian Cox went up in one in one of his series. I think a few remained in flying condition in South Africa until recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwgfU228clE
A beautiful plane and after the Vulcan and Avro Lancaster my third favourite.

Could it intercept a U-2? <Taps side of nose>
Quote:
In September 1962, Fighter Command organised interception trials on Lockheed U-2As at heights of around 60,00065,000 ft (18,00020,000 m), which were temporarily based at RAF Upper Heyford to monitor Soviet nuclear tests. Climb techniques and flight profiles were developed to put the Lightning into a suitable attack position. To avoid risking the U-2, the Lightning was not permitted any closer than 5,000 ft (1,500 m) and could not fly in front of the U-2. For the intercepts, four Lightning F1As conducted 18 solo sorties. The sorties proved that, under GCI, successful intercepts could be made at up to 65,000 ft (20,000 m). Due to sensitivity, details of these flights were deliberately avoided in the pilot log books.
From here
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top