View Single Post
Old 11th August 2020, 02:35 PM   #2241
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I don't get along too well with complexity, I guess, and no doubt there are more efficiently scientifc ways of going about things, but I would surmise that if (and it's a big big if indeed!) one wished to evaluate things honestly, it might be possible to do the test in more than one stage, and without such elaboration as seems to be contemplated here.

For example, one could do a blind test without any consideration of what the modem is doing, and how much output it is putting out. Just do the test. If headaches occur in a pattern that does not correspond with on times for the modem, it does not matter what the modem is capable of, because you're getting headaches with it off. If headaches occur that correspond with modem on times, or if no headaches occur at all, it may or may not matter what the modem is capable of. Further, more precise testing would be warranted then. But the first possibility would be fairly definitive. If headaches occur when the modem is off, or if they stop while the modem is on, then you have convincing evidence that the modem is not causing them.

The test would have to be done honestly, of course, but if the test is truly blind and if both parties to the test keep honest records of time, it would be a useful first step.

Why is this so hard to do?

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top