View Single Post
Old 11th August 2020, 09:17 PM   #2244
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Originally Posted by wollery View Post
Note the interesting phrasing;

I worked there. We had good equipment.

Two separate sentences. No statement that he has actually used them, or even that he knows how to use them, just an indignant, "Why do you snidely infer I am incapable of using one?".
Note also,
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I worked in the radio and research department at Joburg City Power when I was a student.
So (the rule of) PS really only did some work experience as part of the courses he never attended.
Students doing work experience generally got stuck with filing or photocopying back in the day.

Perhaps Joburg City Power had really good photocopying equipment?
These are the details that call PartSkeptic's account into question. I funded my way through uni by working as a kitchen porter. (not a fun job). Occasionally, I was pressed into duty as a silver service waitron. And I had no clue what I was doing. They just chucked a purple waistcoat on me and sent me forth. Sink or swim was the order of the day.

Nothing wrong with that per se, one does what one must to make ends meet. The problem here is that PS thinks such pointless anecdotes lend him credibility.

We have all been there in some way, shape or form as we got to where wherever we are at now. PS thinks that this means he is an expert on whatever.

This would be akin to me claiming to be a gourmet genius chef by dint of washing the pots and pans. That is an absurd notion.

At best, PS was merely told what it was and instructed not to touch it as he earned a few quick bucks.

How do I know? Well in the ensuing decades, I have hired and fired hundreds. I know for a fact that one does not allow a spotty teenager to drive a screw, or a forklift, or anything that matters let alone a spectrum analyser. Not happening under my watch.

This mad claim just gets added to the Abe Simpson heap of anecdotes. Likely with an onion tied to the belt as was the style at the time.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top