View Single Post
Old 16th December 2020, 12:26 AM   #150
Planigale
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I'm sure that's what I read in the report on these reactions. The issue of the epipens is being conflated with the actual reactions these people had.

From your link:

Remember that post from Planigale painstakingly describing the difference (with way more detail than necessary and I see hypersensitivity reactions described as allergic on a regular basis) between anaphylaxis and anaphylactoid reactions?

The article says:But they don't define "shortly after." It was the next day. I know that was in the report but I'll have to find it again.

The article explains the two kinds of reactions calling them both allergic reactions.

A simple explanations without a lot of clutter:

I did find with more searching that both reactions can occur right away or later. There is a lot of good information in this article (though it is also very cluttered ) :
NIH: A Reliable Method for the Evaluation of the Anaphylactoid Reaction Caused by Injectable Drugs They do use guinea pigs and nude rats for the model.
I think that if you want to send a message to the general public then it makes sense not to be strict about words, I would hope here that people do understand a release probably written by a 'coms' person may not be scientifically accurate. It is technically incorrect to call anaphylactoid reactions allergic, but for the general public since the reaction is indistinguishable to them from a true allergic reaction then it is reasonable to use this term about what they will see or suffer from*. The reactions were 'immediate' which is why there is a new requirement for people to be observed for 15 minutes post vaccination.

You may think my post was too detailed, and I did apologise for that, but from past experience if I simplify things too much you also criticise my posts! FWIW I could have gone into a lot more detail. I am yet to find the 'Skeptic Ginger" happy place, not too simple, not too complex; just right.

*Also the immediate treatment is the same.

ETA

As you reference says
Quote:
cannot (be utilized to) differentiate anaphylactoid reactions from allergic reactions
my brackets.

Last edited by Planigale; 16th December 2020 at 12:28 AM.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top