Thread: [Split Thread] A second impeachment
View Single Post
Old 15th January 2021, 05:39 PM   #922
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by metacristi View Post
Even if it may be how you put it here (not be that sure though) I only said that 'from what I understand Trump can be barred from holding future office with a simple majority'* and the wider idea was that Trump should rather be isolated politically instead of marching ahead with the lie that we have clear evidence that he instigated 'insurrection' (Trump's eviction will very probably be speculated way further by the 'progressive justice') . What you say is entirely marginal to my argument and definitely does not make the reasons behind this impeachment more plausible ('insurrection' , when in fact this falls apart from the beginning, if one reads carefully what Trump said before the assault). Sorry but I see much more merits in this.

* I saw one of CNN's analysts saying that a few days ago, without any other comments however
By "reads carefully," of course, you mean "cherry-picks the part where he used the word 'peacefully' and ignores the parts where he used the word 'fight' in speaking to a mob of people he'd been inciting with lies for two months beforehand." Because here's the thing- the article of impeachment isn't only based on that one speech. Here's a relevant excerpt from the text (you can read the whole thing at NPR):

Quote:
In his conduct while President of the United States — and in violation of his constitutional oath faithfully to execute the office of President of the United States and, to the best of his ability, preserve, provide, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States and in violation of his constitutional duty to take care that the laws be faithfully executed — Donald John Trump engaged in high Crimes and Misdemeanors by inciting violence against the Government of the United States, in that:

On January 6, 2021, pursuant to the 12th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, the Vice President of the United States, the House of Representatives, and the Senate met at the United States Capitol for a Joint Session of Congress to count the votes of the Electoral College. In the months preceding the Joint Session, President Trump repeatedly issued false statements asserting that the Presidential election results were the product of widespread fraud and should not be accepted by the American people or certified by State or Federal officials. Shortly before the Joint Session commenced, President Trump, addressed a crowd at the Ellipse in Washington, D.C. There, he reiterated false claims that "we won this election, and we won it by a landslide." He also willfully made statements that, in context, encouraged — and foreseeably resulted in — lawless action at the Capitol, such as: "if you don't fight like hell you're not going to have a country anymore."
President Trump's conduct on January 6, 2021, followed his prior efforts to subvert and obstruct the certification of the results of the 2020 Presidential election. Those prior efforts included a phone call on January 2, 2021, during which President Trump urged the secretary of state of Georgia, Brad Raffensperger, to "find" enough votes to overturn the Georgia Presidential election results and threatened Secretary Raffensperger if he failed to do so.

In all this, President Trump gravely endangered the security of the United States and its institutions of Government. He threatened the integrity of the democratic system, interfered with the peaceful transition of power, and imperiled a coequal branch of Government. He thereby betrayed his trust as President, to the manifest injury of the people of the United States.
Context- that's the word you need to learn here. You're criticizing Congress for impeaching on a narrow basis that is not the basis they've actually impeached him on.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King

Last edited by turingtest; 15th January 2021 at 06:24 PM. Reason: emphasis and grammar
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top