Thread: [Split Thread] A second impeachment
View Single Post
Old 15th January 2021, 07:59 PM   #934
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by metacristi View Post
Sorry for CNN then. Or no? No of course . As for Trump's being punished via being barred from holding office in the future that's especially for his overall attitude regarding democracy, especially after the fact that his legal attempts to change the result of the election were rejected by the courts. The Congress can definitely do that after Biden takes office, be it entirely as a political decision, there is no need to resort to all sort of lies, half truths, 'incitation to insurrection' and tortuous reinterpretations of what the First Amendment protect (restraining free speech).
You so funny.

Sorry, there is nothing torturous about it. Free Speech is not nor has it ever been an unlimited right. You cannot yell fire in a crowded theater or that you have a bomb at an airport. But, you're right, it is a political act. Do you know what also is a political act? War.

The question is did Trump incite an insurrection? I'd argue he was actively committing insurrection. The question is, was the result foreseeable? In my view, it is dishonest to suggest it wasn't.

18 U.S. Code 2383 - Rebellion or insurrection.
Whoever incites, sets on foot, assists, or engages in any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Impeachment is not a criminal procedure and doesn't require the commission of a criminal statute. That isn't what "High Crimes and Misdemeanors" means.