View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2017, 02:15 AM   #284
Sherkeu
Master Poster

It doesn't need to be a cricket, or even a cicada (most cicadas make noise in the daytime).
There are a few species of loud katydids that make a continuous high-pitched sound.

Let's check out some more noisy Cuban bugs!

The Robust Conehead. Listen here.
Quote:
"Song: A continuous harsh buzz of incredible volume, with a peak frequency of about 8 kHz. Can be heard more than a thousand feet away! At close range, it becomes painful to listen to. One would think that the insect would burst into flames from the friction produced in creating such an intense song." ....
"In addition to being loudest, this species has the fastest stridulatory wing-stroke rate of any katydid--208 cycles of wing movement per second in the example above. The song must be slowed to one-sixteenth speed to allow individual wing-movement cycles to be heard."
The Cuban Ground Cricket is a fast trill sound, but at 42 pulses per second, it is a relative slowpoke to this turbo katydid at 208! (normal cricket noise is somewhere around 5/second).

I'm not sure with the volume (up to an ear-splitting 100db) and insane speed that it could be reliably recorded with a cellphone. The mic on my Samsung doesn't 'do' loud well and I'm pretty sure it's all compressed. Perhaps the victim doing this AP recording had some better tech to use. We really don't know how it was made, or altered, or even transferred for that matter.

The runners up :
The Swift Conehead. Listen here.

The Broad-tipped (Triops) Conehead. Listen here. (atypical summer song)

All the Coneheads are loud, but these 3 can live in Cuba and make a continuous high-pitched tone.

Last edited by Sherkeu; 2nd November 2017 at 02:18 AM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top