View Single Post
Old 18th September 2019, 09:57 PM   #224
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I haven't misrepresented anything at all.

I don't deny that we are adapted to eat meat; I'm simply pointing out that evolution is not an ultimate arbiter of what we should do. That goes for many arguably adaptive traits that we try to avoid such as overeating, rape, racism - or other forms of them-and-us categorizing, certain cognitive biases that make sense in a hunter-gatherer society but less so in the modern age, etc...
Sure, but understanding our evolutionary history can offer insight into our biology, including what sort of diet is likely to be best from a health perspective.

It's certainly not the last word on it, and it's certainly not impossible to improve on our ancestral diet(s)*, but it's not pseudoscience to look to our evolutionary history for some insight on this question.

*That "s" is an important point, as our ancestors ate different diets at different times and places. That we are omnivores whose diet has been influenced both by environment an culture makes questions about the diets of our ancestors even more complicated.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top