View Single Post
Old 6th November 2018, 09:38 AM   #301
baron

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
The article didn't actually specify if his workers were illegal or not. The only specific reference is to the wife of one of his workers. Similar articles on the farm talk about fear of harassment and discrimination as a reason for leaving. I haven't seen anything that says his workers were illegal.

Perhaps they were, but from that article there is no way to know.
I don't see why legal workers would leave 'literally overnight' due to a crackdown on illegal workers.

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Probably because, as he says, he can't even get people to apply for the job when illegal immigrants are being scared away.
Why not?

Yes, we've established that you assume he refused to offer more than a pittance. What you have not established is that your assumption is valid. Which country are we discussing that has 60 million?
The US. 60 million Hispanics in the US.

The article I thought we were discussing was about an Alabama farmer, in the USA, with a population well in excess of that. Of course, the vast majority of that population is nowhere near this farm, nor in any position to travel to it for a couple weeks worth of work.
The article says it's four months' work, not two weeks. Then it states his previous workforce would travel 600 miles for the work. How many Hispanics are within a 600 mile radius of his farm?
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top