View Single Post
Old 14th May 2019, 12:02 PM   #131
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Thanks! That helps.

Do you known the weather limits for a helicopter to launch and land on a destroyer? Sea state and winds? Although I imagine a destroyer can stay on station through a wide range of weather conditions (at the cost of quite a ride for the crew) I wonder about the limits of the helo - part of the team. I've seen video of helicopters attempting to land in chop and high winds and it would appear to be very dangerous at some point. Is that the point that the land-based ASWs are deployed (when their range and endurance are sufficient)?
Here you go deck landings in rough sea.

They have a 'harpoon' on the bottom of the helo that engages with a grid on the deck to hold them down after landing

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Or. like the Canadians they use a 'Haul Down' system

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top