View Single Post
Old 2nd June 2017, 10:12 AM   #42
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
I have PTSD.

What you are referencing isn't PTSD.

What you describe is either a general sense of collective guilt for immoral actions and practices committed by our predecessors and the anger of individuals that feel their anger is properly directed at the ancestors of the individuals and society that committed those acts.

Point of fact.

The worst incident of lynching/mob violence based on race was committed on My predecessors, Sicilians in New Orleans:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_14,_1891_lynchings

The March 14, 1891 lynchings were a series of lynchings of eleven Italian Americans in New Orleans, Louisiana, for their alleged role in the murder of police chief David Hennessy. It was the largest mass lynching in U.S. history.[1][2][note 1]

The lynching took place the day after the trial of nine of the nineteen men indicted in the murder. Six of these defendants had been acquitted, and a mistrial had been declared for the remaining three because the jury failed to agree on their verdicts. Believing the jury had been bribed, a mob broke into the jail where the men were being held and killed eleven of them. The mob numbered in the thousands and included some of the city's most prominent citizens. American press coverage of the event was largely congratulatory, and those responsible for the lynching were never charged.

The incident had serious national repercussions. Italy cut off diplomatic relations with the United States, sparking rumors of war. Increased anti-Italian sentiment led to calls for restrictions on immigration. The word "Mafia" entered the American lexicon, and the stereotype of the Italian-American mafioso was firmly established in the popular imagination.

I heard about it often as a kid.
It is the same thing, there are different levels of severity for PTSD. One of those is paranoia or lack of trust that you won't be treated equitably.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/servi...predictors.pdf
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top