View Single Post
Old 2nd June 2017, 10:17 AM   #46
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
Ignoring the snipped PoMo blather to focus on the above. The previous "days without <x>" did NOT involve others asking people of a certain demographic to vanish for a day. It involved those people voluntarily absenting THEMSELVES from things for a day, to draw attention to their contribution to society. The case here isn't white folks suggesting they absent themselves from campus. It's PoCs taking a day that was traditionally them absent themselves from campus, but deciding this year to tell people who had the wrong skin pigment that they ought to absent themselves, then calling for firings and violence when they weren't kowtowed to.

Hypocrisy level of those taking issue with this particular 'day without' : zero.
The point is no one should have ever been asked to volunteer for a day of absence for discussing racism in separate groups. Anti-racism should be inculcated into everyday living, everyone should be considered just people, and to treat each other with respect accordingly.

That isn't likely to happen until the trauma of slavery and its lasting affects on the people involved are addressed. You can't resolve something without addressing the root cause.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top