View Single Post
Old 1st November 2018, 07:41 AM   #77
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
For as long as I can remember, where I've voted has been at the most ten minutes walk from where I've lived, often less, notwithstanding the fact I've always lived in cities. I usually vote after work, as polling stations close at 22:00. Most times there's never been a queue, and even when there was, it was never more than five people, if that.

Going on the last general election, the UK had 41,000 polling stations - one for every 1,135 regsitered voters on average. After a lot of digging, I finally found out that there were 116,990 polling places in the 2016 US presidential election, which works out at one for every 1980 registered voters - almost double the UK number.
I live in a city. I could walk to the school in question in twenty minutes, but it's in a bad neighborhood and I'd almost certainly be mugged, since I'd have to go before sun up.