View Single Post
Old 25th November 2012, 11:37 AM   #90
Atwill
Scholar

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
You said scientific axioms. Did you have any examples in mind?
I do consider the ones I mentioned to be axioms of science. Are you asking for examples of axioms that are *exclusive* to science? That'd be difficult for me, I guess, considering the universality of many of them, but the assumption of the reliability of deduction and empirical evidence come to mind.

Originally Posted by tsig
Assertion does not equal proof. You are aware that the burden of proof is on the claimant?
I don't really know what kind of proof I could give you, other than that (unlike your programmer and engineer examples) philosophy includes science, logic, etc., by definition. Philosophy is simply the intellectual examination of concepts.

Now, before you snark, keep in mind that I've already supposed that my understanding of philosophy might be too broad in my very first post in this thread. No one's provided an alternative definition so far, though.

Quote:
If it's all philosophy then who could argue it but philosophers?
Total non-sequitur. You can argue women's issues without being a woman. You can argue science without being a scientist. You can argue animal welfare without being an animal (owner). No one has made the claim that "philosophy" is both, the basis of everything *and* some sort of exclusive club for professionals. If this is what you got from my posts... well, it was definitely not what I was trying to get across.
Atwill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top