Thread: My Ghost Story
View Single Post
Old 21st November 2015, 02:37 PM   #592
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
--snip--

Why would you limit your consciousness to your deterministic existence here on Earth if a multidimensional universe is a theoretical possibility? It wouldn't make sense that it would only exist in the 4 dimensions we have here.

--snip--
The bit I highlighted here is, I think, a perfect demonstration of the central weakness of your position. Argument from Incredulity, perhaps. It makes no sense to you for it to be otherwise, therefore you assume it true, and perhaps without realizing it, paint all your research with the color of supporting your assumption.

It is not necessary to go further than that to demonstrate the weakness, but I will go one step more anyway:

It doesn't make sense that it DOES exist in those other dimensions. It does not perceive them, and the other aspects of me do not seem to exist in them. When I reach to grasp my coffee cup my arm and hand do not twist and contort into some imperceptible and physicalized equation. I require no commune with another dimension to accomplish the task.

Why is that less parsimonious than your formulation of what makes sense?