View Single Post
Old 18th July 2010, 10:01 AM   #79
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
What I'm disputing, is the claim that 1) radiation from the sun has been heating up the crust surface of Venus from a significantly lower temperature to its current 470C
It doesn't matter if it heated the surface from a lower temperature or just keeps it from cooling down further: the sun still provides the surface with heat. If the sun stopped shining, the surface would cool, and if the surface was magically made cooler, it would heat up.

Quote:
, and that 2) a hypothetical ground temperature of 0C would make such a heating much faster.
Of course it would. A 0C surface temperature would drastically reduce both radiative and convective heat loss, but it would still receive the same amount of incoming heat. So there would no longer be any balance between heat in and heat out, and net heat flow in = rising temperature. Your million-year lifespan for a frozen surface is an absurdity.

Quote:
It seems that the myth of a runaway greenhouse effect on Venus can be traced back to the authority of Carl Sagan. In the meantime the myth has become a dogma.

And if I'm not completely mistaken in my thermodynamic evaluation
You are completely mistaken in your thermodynamic evaluation. And what you haven't figured out is that the reasons you're wrong have nothing to do with Sagan being right, or with runaway greenhouse effects. You have made claims which don't withstand basic scrutiny.

Quote:
From the premises
  • The lowest mean crust temperature on is at crust surface
  • The highest mean atmosphere temperature is at crust surface
I conclude:
  • There is a tiny heat flow from the crust to the atmosphere
Cheers, Wolfgang
That's correct. But that tiny heat flow comes from the fact that the surface receives some heating from solar radiation. Thermal conduction from below the surface is pretty much irrelevant. The crust itself is a FAR better insulator than the atmosphere ever could be.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top