View Single Post
Old 24th April 2012, 11:45 AM   #20
Xulld
Master Poster

Trapping is completely outlawed in most states. Fullstop.

I disagree with that in principle, often not in practice.

Trapping is a highly effective way of hunting. I no longer hunt, but if I found myself in a survival situation I would not hesitate to setup traps.

I feel two ways about traps in general usage vs survival usage.

There are all kinds of natural dangers in any environment, and when a person goes about moving through these environments they need to use caution and need to educate themselves. This includes knowing a trap when you see it, Just my .02

Trapping has fallen out of use since most states make it illegal in all forms except live traps. Mostly due to animal suffering and animal rights activists. I personally stopped hunting after a few hunts went bad and suffering was a major issue for me. Again in a survival situation I would not hesitate, but currently no such need exists for me personally..

Trapping has been a technique used by man since tool making began. In some regards it should be a skill that is continued to be taught and understood regardless of the law, IMHO.

In principle trapping is a skill that should continue.
In principle a person should be able to hunt on there own land in whatever way they want.
In practice it is very dangerous to have unattended traps anywhere a stupid person might find themselves. In today's society we pander to the stupidest of stupid with paper protection laws. Hot coffee anyone?

I completely understand why it is practical to outlaw trapping. I disagree with the theme that we must outlaw all risk in an effort to protect the stupid/uninformed.

Freedom of Speech is a right recognized in the First Amendment. Freedom from consequence is nowhere to be found. -Bstrong

Last edited by Xulld; 24th April 2012 at 11:47 AM.
Xulld is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top