View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:36 PM   #367
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Was going to post this CNN article about subsequent developments:

Berkeley protests of Yiannopoulos caused $100,000 in damage

Quote:
The university blamed "150 masked agitators" for the unrest, saying they had come to campus to disturb an otherwise peaceful protest.

Two Berkeley College Republicans "were attacked while conducting an interview" on the campus on Thursday, UC Berkeley also said in a prepared statement. The attackers, who were not affiliated with the university, were taken into custody by UC Berkeley police.
So you have some people who aren't even affiliated with the university (according to the university anyway) coming on campus and causing $100,000 in damage. I don't know if that figure even includes what happened off campus.

My understanding is that the University itself was in favor of free speech.
The "Black Bloc" is a cancer.

Quote:
Black-clad protesters wearing masks threw commercial-grade fireworks and rocks at police. Some even hurled Molotov cocktails that ignited fires. They also smashed windows of the student union center on the Berkeley campus where the Yiannopoulos event was to be held.
At least six people were injured. Some were attacked by the agitators -- who are a part of an anarchist group known as the "Black Bloc" that has been causing problems in Oakland for years, said Dan Mogulof, UC Berkeley spokesman.
Then there's Trump's reaction:

Quote:
President Donald Trump weighed in on Twitter, suggesting the possibility of cutting federal funds to the public university.
"If U.C. Berkeley does not allow free speech and practices violence on innocent people with a different point of view -- NO FEDERAL FUNDS?" Trump tweeted Thursday morning.
Later, Yiannopoulos posted Trump's tweet to Facebook and proclaimed himself "the catalyst for this change."
"American universities are on notice. The President is watching," he wrote. "The days you could silence conservative and libertarian voices on campus and still expect to collect their tax money are coming to an end."
So, the University is actually one of the victims here, the "agitators" (or at least most of them more than likely) came from the outside and started a riot. But Trump makes no distinction and simply blames the University itself and threatens to cut their funding. Troll Milo who I'm sure is aware who is really behind the violence piles on with his taunts, but I'm sure he's secretly very pleased to be the center of attention.