View Single Post
Old 8th October 2019, 05:45 PM   #238
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Thank you for the correction. I hope my imprecise terminology didn't confuse you too much about my meaning.

Anyway, this analysis seems potentially circular, or at least incoherent. Consider:

10 It's legal for the President to dismiss an FBI Director.

20 Unless it's obstruction.

30 But it's not obstruction unless there's corrupt intent.

40 But it's not corrupt intent unless the President knows it's illegal.

50 GOTO 10

So there must be some nuance or other consideration that I'm missing.
If the reason for firing the FBI director was definitely to obstruct an investigation into YOU, you were CLEARLY operating with intent to obstruct.

I think you're missing it because it's that overt and self-evident.

ETA:
And there is no doubt he was intending to obstruct and was aware of the illegality:

Quote:
Despite being advised by then-White House Counsel Don McGahn that he could face legal jeopardy for doing so, Trump directed McGahn on multiple occasions to fire Mueller or to gin up false conflicts of interest as a pretext for getting rid of the Special Counsel. When these acts began to come into public view, Trump made “repeated efforts to have McGahn deny the story” — going so far as to tell McGahn to write a letter “for our files” falsely denying that Trump had directed Mueller’s termination.
Firing Mueller would have seriously impeded the investigation of the President and his associates — obstruction in its most literal sense.
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan

Last edited by kellyb; 8th October 2019 at 05:58 PM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top