View Single Post
Old 30th August 2019, 11:34 AM   #2340
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Uhm, I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one to declare that which promotes racism is itself racist.
No, and you're not the only one who's wrong about this. Words mean things, and the expansion of this particular one into near-meaninglessness is counter-productive.

Quote:
I know it adds a layer of complexity that some people won't be comfortable with, but it is a complex issue, isn't it?
It really isn't.

How indirect does the effect need to be for the cause to stop being racist? If I buy an appartment building and demolish it to build a train station, and as a result down the line fewer locals can find places to live, and they happen to be black, was my purchase racist? If not, what's the cut-off?

That's why the actual definition is useful and clear: if you generall think another 'race' is inferior or worthy of contemp or violence, then you're a racist. Racism is not the same as bias, and it's not the same as negative effects on specific groups.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top