View Single Post
Old 6th September 2019, 08:33 PM   #2353
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Hey, you do you.

If there's Trump supporters who personally aren't racist, at the very least they feel supporting unabashed racism is an acceptable price for getting whatever it is they do want out of him; so honestly "racist, not-racist" becomes more like splitting hairs at this juncture.

I can no longer accept as credible or even reasonable the hypothesis that some Trump supporters are genuinely unaware that he champions racist policies and openly courts the approval of white supremacists.
Ready for a shock?

I can totally buy the idea that there are some people that simply don't, or can't, accept the obvious fact that Dolt 45 is plainly a white supremacist.

The reasoning is actually simple. "Well, I know that being a racist is the worst thing you can be. Trump thinks what I think. And if Trump's a white supremacist, then so am I, and that makes me a racist, the worst thing a person can be. But that's crazy! I'm not evil, so I'm not racist, so neither is Trump!"

Simple. Deeply fallacious at every step, but simple.

A large part of this, again, comes down to the fact that many white people simply can't recognize racism, because they aren't taught what it is. They and their families simply don't need to know, so they never really learned anything beyond burning crosses, fire hoses, and "Segregation forever!". White conservatives and reactionaries, in particular, tend to sneer at "Identity Politics" (even as they wallow in it) or "Ethnic Studies", so they're shocked when black people are perfectly fine with Obama having a different accent in front of a black audience than in front of Congress (I've been accused of inventing the term "code-switching" multiple times!). They try to shoehorn other people's theory into their misguided concepts, which is how they get gibberish like the "intersectional pyramid", which has nothing to do with the actual theory of intersectionality.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top