View Single Post
Old 7th May 2012, 03:33 PM   #164
elipse
Master Poster

Originally Posted by GIBHOR View Post
lets resume it : the most i hear is : " we don't know".

Ignorance at its fullest.

based on the scientific ,philosophic, and theologic knowledge we do have in regard of many aspects of life, to come to such a conclusion, is truly not satisfying ( at least to me ). I don't think this answer is honest.
1. When scientists say "we don't know" it means "Yay! We get to work on this awesome problem! This is what we like best in the world!" (Or, if the question is outside their feild, "Yay! Someone else gets to work on this awesome problem, and I get to read about what they find as they go! Aside from working on my own awesome problems, that's what I like best in the world!")

There's nothing unsatisfying about having awesome problems to think about and work on. So the answer is honest. Even from me, and I'm not even a scientist, just someone who loves it that other people are working on these problems using their brains and cumulative knowledge/experience.

2. How does the alternative explanation end up at anything other than "we don't know?" If you say "The universe and the world and man were created by god," then how do you answer ANY further question? How? How did god create the universe? Did he use tools? Where did he get the materials?

Can you answer any further question about the universe, once you posit that god made it? If not, why is YOUR version of "I don't know" satisfying to you, but you find a scientist's version of "I don't know" so unsatisfying?

3. Ignorance at its FULLEST? I don't agree. Which do you think is the more ignorant statement: "I think this circle of mushrooms with a bare patch in the middle is caused by fairies having a dance here--they plant the mushrooms in order to make themselves invisible."
or
"I think this circle of mushrooms with a bare patch in the middle is caused by mushrooms in the center dying out, but I can't be sure yet, because I haven't been able to see it happen. I'm going to take pictures of the circle and see if it grows and how."

The first answer is arguably a "more complete" answer, in that the speaker thinks he has the whole answer, but the second, I would argue, is far less ignorant, even as it acknowledges that it does not have the whole answer.