View Single Post
Old 7th May 2012, 05:48 PM   #191
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Then we'd like to find a path to finding out. There seem to be lot of ways to move forward on the naturalism front -- ways to inquire, ways to accept and reject ideas... How am I to do this with the supernatural?

I am curious how I might investigate the God hypothesis. Here are some things I have already tried:

1) Reading religious texts. They do not seem to reflect any world I am familiar with. They are full of fanciful stories. Some religious texts, of recent origin have pretty good documentation that points to fraud (Mormons, Scientology). I can't tell the truth value of a story in one text and the story in someone else's text.

2) Prayer. This seems to me to be pretty much like talking to myself. I've never been able to get any real result, nor have I been able to get others, purportedly more faithful and expert than myself, to demonstrate any observable result worth mentioning.

3) Forums. I've heard a great many arguments but they all boil down to believing in a story that doesn't hold up under examination. The idea of God + "what I already accept" doesn't get me any more than "what I already accept."

I'm perfectly willing to explore the idea, but it ought to be a worthwhile idea, shouldn't it? What does God add?

Well said.