View Single Post
Old 9th September 2019, 02:42 AM   #17
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
And whether there is any logic or reason to it some words some people don't like. Look at this place with its auto censor, that's here because the originator of this forum didn't like certain words to be splashed all over the forum. His house, his rules. At work you aren't at your house so you do have to follow the consensus, the rules in the workplace, and if you don't there are consequences. In this case it seems he simply wasn't happy having to follow the same rules as everyone else so he left. Don't see the big deal myself.
I think this is a bit complicated. It's a question of ownership of words. The n-word is a word where I don't think it's use should be dictated by people who haven't been targeted by it.

That said, I also think one should be mindful of the comfort level of people around one's self. If you are saying things that make people uncomfortable, maybe you should at least take into consideration not to say those things.

Maybe they should have all sat down and talked about this instead of taking it to the media.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top