View Single Post
Old 9th September 2019, 06:43 AM   #39
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Ok, maybe I'm missing something here...

Talented writer uses the n-word referring to himself. HR pulls him aside and says 'dude, you really can't do that'. Writer quits. Doesn't like to be told what do do, I guess?

Is there some dilemma here? Some travesty? Something unfair? I guess you could say it was unfair to the show that he quit for such a trivial reason. I dunno.

Was the HR dude white? That would be kind of funny, in a way. But it seems there was a HR guy doing his job, politely and discretely, and a well-known writer with plenty of employment options (no financial distress resulting from this, I assume) who doesn't like rules and quit.

So...sorry to be dense, but what's the issue? Whether a black man can use the n-word. He can. Whether a company can remind a worker that they do not allow the use of slurs in the workplace? They can. Did HR make a spectacle or do something inappropriate? They didn't. Sooooo.....?
The problem is, you are in a creative environment, where people's experiences are supposed to be cherished, and you told one of the greatest writers he can't tell a story with certain words.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top