View Single Post
Old 27th June 2015, 05:54 PM   #1
Darwin123
Graduate Poster

Forum Spell Checker: How to Turn Off

I am having trouble with spelling. However, the problem doesn't totally originate from my schooling. When I post a reply, some of my words are replaced with some other word that sounds somewhat the same.

The mistaken correction occurs before I submit the post. However, there is often a delay between my typing the word and the replacement. So I am often unaware that the word has been replaced before I submit the post. So there remain in the posts these awful spelling errors.

When I correct the word, the word is replaced a second time. So even when I think that I have corrected it, it somehow gets fixed incorrectly by the time I submit.

I have made frequent use of the <edit> button on my submitted posts. However, the edit option disappears as soon as someone else comments on my post. I understand this policy and don't want it to change. However, I am often unaware of the spelling error until someone else gets confused or upset about it. Then I am embarrassed and can't change it.

I am not sure where the spell checker is. It may be in the editor of this forum, or somehow attached to my own editor. Where ever the spell checker is, I don't like it. I would rather take chances with my own spelling ability than overzealous correction software.

I don't see other people complaining about it, so maybe it is specific to my system. Just for the record, I am using an Apple computer. However, I suspect that this may be a problem for IBM clones (sometimes called PC) too.

My too questions are:

1) Is the spelling checker associated with the Skeptics Forum or something on my system?

2) How can I turn off or modify the spell checker?
Darwin123 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top