View Single Post
Old 15th October 2017, 11:32 AM   #145
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
“The reduction in diplomatic presence was made to ensure the safety of our personnel,” said one official. “We maintain diplomatic relations with Cuba, and our work in Cuba will be guided by national security and foreign policy goals of the United States.”

There is now about $300M in American tourist dollars to Cuba on the table in addition to more millions in investment. (Total tourism of $2B likely affected as well)
Restoring more normal relations with Cuba is a good thing. A friend of mine who lives in the Bay area went on a vacation to Cuba a few months ago with a tour group. Said it was a good deal, and he'd recommend it to anyone.
Originally Posted by Steve
I understood that the Cuban government welcomed the re-establishment of connections with the US. Why would they want to cause this disruption?
I've got the same question.
Originally Posted by dann View Post
Come on, you really can’t expect decent US American diplomats to enjoy staying in a third-world hellhole like Cuba!
Given some of the third world places my sister lived when she worked for the State Department ... yes, I do.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top