View Single Post
Old 6th November 2017, 01:43 PM   #320
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post
Now that is scary. I think this kind of thing might indeed be a strong possibility.

A strong possibility? Really?

This is just plain crazy! There are numerous causes of hearing loss in adults, for instance ”inherited from your parents or acquired from illness, ototoxic (ear-damaging) drugs, exposure to loud noise, tumors, head injury, or the aging process.” The Mayo Clinic mentions the following risk factors: aging, loud noise, heredity, occcupational noises, recreational noises, some medications and some illnesses, so if even one of those drugs exists in Cuba, it suddenly becomes number one suspect – after super-sonic weapons and crickets have f-i-n-a-l-l-y been eliminated from the competition.

If the pursuit of the suspicious Cypermethrin as the culprit remains unsuccessful, let me suggest that it might be worthwhile to find out if any of the patients had Cuban ancestors who might have brought the susceptibility to hearing loss down on their unsuspecting grandchildren.
And if that doesn't work, we should consider that these guys spent time in Cuba, and we all know what happens when we spend time, don't we? That's right, we age, even in Havana, so this is yet another one of those things that the Cubans didn't properly protect the US agents against!

Gotta make that Cuban connection stick – somehow!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top