View Single Post
Old 25th December 2018, 09:10 AM   #709
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
Sure. Guns and the second amendment are held in high esteem in the United States. I consider it to be a trueism, in fact. It really has nothing to do with the horrible behavior of police and the levels of abuse they regularly heap upon a mostly-innocent populace, however, which is my only point.

It's no use to bring up for discussion the true reasons for the levels of violence in the US because people, especially foreigners, just love to disparage the gun and their owners somethin' fierce!

Utter absurd statement. There are thousands and thousands of separate laws across the nation regarding guns, ownership, where they can be used, how they're to be stored, how and when they can be shot, what kinds of ammunition can be purchased and used, and on and on.

But, hey, keep thinking that just one more law will surely make a difference this time!

The real reason cops behave the way they do is because of control. The government created, endorsed, and armed groups of people originally to hunt down slaves back in the early years and keep control of the riff raff -- which nearly always turned out to be blacks, Native Americans, other brown-skinned foreigners as well as people who were considered at one time as worthless as the blacks, such as the Italians, Germans, Irish, and so on.

First gun control laws and first anti-drug laws were passed in order to keep the blacks and other minorities unarmed and in prison. White governors were very open about their racist reasons for enacting those laws and they are still horribly racist in intent, even after the language itself has been cleaned up.

Look at the differences between powdered cocaine and crack cocaine for a great example. One is a "black guys drug" and the other is a "white man's drug".

These are the real reasons but it's not as easy to try and solve and isn't as fun as tilting at the gun windmills I suppose.
WRT your example. As someone who has abused both powdered, and crack, cocaine. I can tell you that they are very, very, different.