View Single Post
Old 15th October 2019, 11:42 PM   #127
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Hey I don't know why people won't buy proper food, but they obviously do not or we wouldn't have this "epidemic". I can't explain it because I don't live that way.

Of course, you know why they don't buy proper food. You tell us all the time. It's because they use all their money on expensive phones! And now you're telling us again:

Quote:
I'm not the one claiming that healthy food is so expensive either. They are the one's saying it's so expensive while they are on their expensive phones, not me.

Where exactly do they, not you, say "it's so expensive while they are on their expensive phones"?! All I can see is you saying that that's what they are saying on their expensive phones. I don't see them do it.

Quote:
That is THEIR excuse and way of thinking, not mine. I can only guess their motivations and go by what I observe. They can afford it they just choose not to, and "expense" may be a convenient, though false, excuse.

May be? Why do you think so? I don't believe that much of what you claim to observe is actually observations.

Quote:
I see people loading up the cart with Ruffles Chips ($5 a bag!) and soda, frozen food, loads and loads of crap. Don't ask me why - I can't afford to buy that junk and I don't. Same store has veggies and real food for sooo much cheaper.

I don't ask you why they do what you claim that they do. You are the one telling us why all the time while at the same time pretending that you are just observing. You see it, i.e. you paint a picture of what you want to see, and then you claim that cheap snacks are so expensive that you can't afford them. Why can't you afford them? Because you've spent all your money buying expensive gadgets or weed? I'm just asking. Unlike you, I'm not pretending to actually know why you can't.

Quote:
They walk around the store with their already-fat toddlers teaching them these awful eating habits too, continuing the cycle. And they aren't all necessarily poor, at least that I can see. They still eat bad. People with money are fat too!

What exactly is the alleged "cycle" that they are teaching their toddlers? Are you even sure that they, and not the TV commercials from manufacturers of unhealthy snacks, are the ones who teach them? This is a rather new phenomenon, percentage-wise, so you can't really claim that it's a kind of cycle handed down from generation to generation.
And if people with money are fat too, what is the point of claiming that people are fat because they buy expensive phones and therefore can't afford expensive food?

Quote:
Most people in the US have access to proper food - that is not an excuse. There are Walmarts that sell veggies and food cheaper as I showed above. The same store where people load up on cakes and sweets also sell healthy cheap food.

So their choice is to eat either the **** that they eat or potatoes and carrots? Or a carrot in between the cakes? That doesn't sound like an attractive alternative to me, but maybe it is for you.

Quote:
Access to affordable food is not an issue in most places (in the USA). People wanting to eat crap is the problem. If you have to drive further to get food then make the drive worth it and load up.
And once again you contradict yourself. You just told us: "Hey I don't know why people won't buy proper food," and now (again) you suddenly know exactly why they won't!
By the way, loading up to make the drive worth it, isn't what you do with carrots and potatoes and other perishable foods. It's what you do with the ****** stuff that manufacturers and sellers of food prefer, too. It's also the reason why they can't seem to get rid of the industry-produced trans fats that they are so fond of: They last longer!
We got rid of them here 16 years ago, and "it is hypothesized that the Danish government's efforts to decrease trans fat intake from 6 g to 1 g per day over 20 years is related to a 50% decrease in deaths from ischemic heart disease." But in the rest of the world, the arteries of consumers aren't clogged up because industry thinks it's easier that way, they are clogged up because fat parents are teaching their fat toddlers that industry's fatty acids are good for them, right?!
Get used to the FACT: Industry is killing people because industry is lazy and doesn't want to do the little extra effort that it takes to get rid of their trans fats! Trans fats are so convenient for industry. What consumers want has very little to do with it.
Have you seen many commercials lately for food products telling consumers that they are "chockfull of trans fats, the best that industry can buy!"?
Industry wants consumers to buy ****** foods, and it teaches consumers to do so.

Quote:
For $10-12 I can crock-pot and freeze a dozen meals for myself in one shot. Pulled pork is cheap. Stew is if you cut your own meat. Soups. Forget the fattening meat and make veggie dishes even cheaper. The only thing in my freezer are foods I've made myself. No Hot Pockets, no Ice Cream or Pot Pies.

Do you expect me to applaud you because you've got the time and the money to buy and cook healthy food? I'm criticizing you for pretending that everybody has this choice.

Quote:
Being poor is not an excuse for being fat. See many obese homeless? Extreme example but there it is. Less calories = less fat.
You don't remember what you wrote just two sentences ago, do you?!
Are you actually out there sharing your recipes with the homeless, telling them that they "can crock-pot and freeze a dozen meals for (themselves) in one shot"?! If you are, I would love to hear their response! Do you see many freezers in the cardboard boxes occupied by the homeless?

Quote:
It's about priorities and giving a damn for 99.9% of people. Everyone's a victim these days.

No, everyone isn't a victim. Apparently you are not. You are a victim blamer. But when industry is allowed to produce and use its own trans fats, everyone who buys products with that ingredient is a victim, but it hasn't got much to do with choice.

Quote:
One more thing - being active is also a great way to stay healthy. I was at the park the other day and a little kid was driving around in a little tiny toy truck. But he wasn't pedaling it like I used to do. No this is battery controlled so his fat little legs don't need to exert themselves!

I see nothing wrong with an electrical toy, and I bet that even children who don't have "fat (!) little legs" love them, too. I have talked with children here about them, and they aren't too fond of electric toy trucks because they're too slow. The ones they can pedal are much faster.
And this is how we do it in my corner of the world. Here, it's what children learn, too:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Quote:
Sure, it's the world we live in...if you choose for it to be. It may take a little work to get the best food and learn about it, but what is more important than your own health?

Is that a serious question? What is much more important are the things that you can do when you're healthy, apart from work. Otherwise, what's the point of health?! Just being smug about it and telling unhealthy people that they are to blame for their poor health?

Quote:
Take control of your life or don't. I can't stand excuses like these.

Take control of your life away from industry and the people who get wealthy by making your living conditions unhealthy and intolerable. I can't stand the excuses that allow rich people to ruin the lives and health of those less fortunate.
But that is what they choose to do, industry and its owners.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top