View Single Post
Old 18th October 2019, 05:26 AM   #137
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Obviously fat shaming doesn't work because more and more people are becoming obese.

Fans of fat shaming, like Bill Maher, will claim that fat people just haven't been shamed enough.

Quote:
Who is going to do the fat shaming when an overwhelming majority are obese?

The slim minority?! (By the way, the obese are still a minority.)

Quote:
A big problem is that when being overweight is the new norm, you have few people in a position of authority to point out that the obesity epidemic is such a threat to the over all welfare of the community.

Is it actually the new norm? I don't see how the obesity epidemic can be a "threat to the over all welfare of the community," but even if it were, I don't see why it would be problem to find "people in a position of authority to point out" that it were so. You seem to think of obesity as a kind of cult whose members are trying to promote the 'cause' and will only elect people who will help them do so.
You seem to forget that most obese people aren't obese because they want to be or find it desirable to be obese.

Quote:
Overweight child welfare workers are hardly going to be calling out parents for letting their kids get fat..

Not to mention healthcare providers.

Isn't this somewhat akin to the gay-recruiting myth? That the obese are a secret community that aspires to make everybody obese?!
I don't see why an obese wellfare workers or health-care providers wouldn't do their utmost to help prevent children from becoming obese.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top