View Single Post
Old 20th October 2019, 07:56 AM   #150
dann
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think that's something we have been doing.
They have been trying to make kids eat and drink all kinds of unhealthy ****, and it appears to be working so well that they are getting rich by killing them. (Or making them kill themselves, if you will.)
Fast-food advertising has replaced the old Come-to-Marlboro-County ads:

Quote:
Jennifer Harris, director of marketing initiatives at the University of Connecticut’s Rudd Center for Food Policy & Obesity, and her team constantly publish papers on the correlation between fast food marketing and childhood obesity. Like Gearhardt, she thinks teenagers are especially vulnerable to junk food ads, more so than children 12 and under.
“Teenagers don’t have well-developed cognitive control mechanisms,” Harris told HuffPost. “Their frontal cortex doesn’t develop until the early 20s, so they’re very impulsive.”
How Fast Food Advertisements Get Under Your Skin, Whether You Realize It Or Not (HuffPost, March 3, 2019)

I was a teenager in the late '60s and early '70s, but in spite of hardly ever having a coke, their cinema advertising (in particular the sound of the bottle being opened and the fizz when it's poured into the glass) makes me positively crave one (but not enough to get me out of my seat ). When it has that effect on me, I'm not surprised by the effect that it has on teenage brains.

ETA: We all know the photos they put on packets of cigarettes nowadays. I have some suggestions for the photos that should be placed on boxes of junk food: Death by Morbid Obesity
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 20th October 2019 at 08:14 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top