View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2019, 12:15 AM   #153
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by dann View Post
We don't add anything to popcorn around here. Even movie-theater popcorn appears to be nothing but corn and a bit of cooking oil. (Remember that we don't have artificial trans fats.) The last time I asked about the ingredients at a movie theatre, they claimed that they used peanut oil. No buttery sauces or similar stuff is added to the two basic ingredients - except salt, of course. So I guess that popcorn in Denmark is a pretty healthy snack - if you don't combine it with sugary soft drinks:

(I don't know if this website is a reliable source of information. All the sources I could find in Danish describe popcorn as a healthy snack: Eat Popcorn with a Good Conscience (TV2, March 26, 2012))
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronchiolitis_obliterans

Around 2012 there were stories hitting the media of "popcorn lung" in the USA.

"Bronchiolitis obliterans may be caused by inhalation of airborne diacetyl, a chemical used to produce the artificial butter flavoring[24] in many foods such as candy and microwave popcorn and occurring naturally in wines.

"This first came to public attention when eight former employees of the Gilster-Mary Lee popcorn plant in Jasper, Missouri developed bronchiolitis obliterans.

"On 16 January 2008, it was announced that Wayne Watson, a Denver man who developed "popcorn lung" after inhaling fumes from microwaved popcorn, was suing the Kroger grocery store chain and its affiliates. In the lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court, Watson's attorney claimed that the companies "failed to warn that preparing microwave popcorn in a microwave oven as intended and smelling the buttery aroma could expose the consumer to an inhalation hazard and a risk of lung injury."[31] On 19 September 2012 a jury in U.S. District Court in Denver awarded $2.3 million in actual damages and $5 million in punitive damages to Watson."
Orphia Nay is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top