View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2019, 02:33 PM   #155
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
[I have seen a lot of fat shamers gain weight and either never speak of it again] or double down and emphasize that for them it's *different*. But the truth is, most of us were never demonstrating better willpower or knowledge... just wrapping a story around the fact that we were dealt a different hand of cards.

I couldn't agree more. I've never been fat, but I always stress that willpower has nothing to do with it. I have no need to fat shame or to think of myself as a better person because I'm not fat, so if I ever get fat for some reason, I also won't have to feel ashamed or be in denial about it. The fat shamers who get fat remind me of the people who blame others for being unemployed and then end up on the dole themselves. Or the white supremacists who get DNA tested and discover that their great-grandmother was black ...
Interesting Reddit story!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top