View Single Post
Old 18th February 2020, 11:03 PM   #397
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Hell yes, it does.
No it does not. That's idiotic. I don't care if the guy with the STD doesn't want to tell his sex partners. He can't do that.

Quote:
Now you are moving the goalposts. Still, we have dealt with HIV disclosure issues before. We report to the State, the State handles partner disclosure. We also encourage the patient to self-disclose before that happens.
No one moved any goal post. You don't have enough knowledge to recognize STDs and HIV are treated the same as far as partner notification goes. There are some differences with testing and informed consent but not with post diagnosis requirements to inform partners.

Quote:
For certain infectious diseases covered by other law, yes. Paramount in any ethical decision on partner disclosure is complying with the law. If the State mandates or specifically allows partner disclosure directly by the doctor, then do it. If the law does not allow it, then don’t.
So you'd let an exposed person go un-notified if the legislators in all their practicing medicine without a license wisdom wrote a flawed law?

Fortunately most medical providers recognize flawed laws and aren't afraid to stand up.

Quote:
Ethics requires following the law.

Quote:
Sure, but more important is the duty to the patient. The patient has a fundamental right to know their diagnosis and a fundamental right to consent to treatment. You incorporate the cultural concerns by including the family in the discussion and finding out, ultimately, how the patient wants to handle these issues -it’s their choice.
Here's your problem. You seem to think there are laws with all the little details on how a medical provider should do this or that. There are no such laws. They would be impossible to write.

So guess what? It's up to the provider. We went around on this at the beginning when you tried to tell me what my scope of practice was. In this state nurse practitioners are independent medical providers. It's up to me to know what my scope of practice is. The details are not spelled out in the law.

Quote:
I saw that and edited mine. In short, bad medical judgement, not really ethics.
You didn't appear to recognize the ethical dilemma in prescribing placebos.

Your posts reflect one who is very poorly informed about the difference between ethics, medical judgement and law.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 18th February 2020 at 11:04 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top