Thread: Pardons
View Single Post
Old 13th January 2021, 03:33 PM   #94
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
1. No self pardons.
2. No pardons for direct family members.
3. No pardons for anything you are directly involved in.
4. The President can grant a pardon, but someone else has to propose it first.
5. The pardon can only be for a specific crime that the person has already been convicted of.
One problem I can see with that...

It eliminates the ability for presidents to issue pardons like when Carter pardoned all Vietnam draft dodgers. I don't think it would be practical to have all all of them arrested.
Quote:
6. Accepting the pardon is an admission of guilt of the crime.
As others have pointed out... the trouble with that one is that it eliminates the chance of a pardon for someone who is truly innocent (e.g. if evidence is found exonerating them.)
Quote:
7. No pardons during the lame duck period (although honestly the 'lame duck' period needs to go away or be severely shortened anyway)
That one isn't necessarily a bad idea, but it also doesn't bother me that much. I recognize that there may be cases where pardons are morally right but could be politically damaging (e.g. Obama commuting the sentence of Manning...) and thus allowing a president to issue a pardon in the 'lame duck' part of their presidency may sometimes be a good thing.

The caveat is that there are additional safeguards (such as your 'no self pardons', or as another poster suggested, some way for the senate to challenge pardons).

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top