View Single Post
Old 8th February 2020, 06:36 AM   #102
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Why is the total number of users on Twitter the right metric? There are 7 billion people on the Earth, why aren't you using that number? Alternatively if someone has 100 followers what isn't that the more relevant denominator?
That isn't the relevant figure for what I am talking about.

If 3000 people tweet "Fred Bloggs is a transphobe" and his employer sacks him for being a transphobe without any other corroboration, then his employer is an idiot because it has reacted to what 0.00001% of the active twitter population have decided about Fred Bloggs.
Quote:
I don't think there's any issue with x number of people on twitter having some particular opinion. The issue is the actions they take. Sometimes those actions cause harm.
Can you give me an example of what you mean by these actions?
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top