View Single Post
Old 12th November 2018, 10:15 AM   #32
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
Originally Posted by Mr Salk View Post
Karol isn't using a standard stack; it wouldn't stand up to scrutiny.
No. You've missed the point and the trick. Karol is using a clean, standard deck which holds up to scrutiny.
Originally Posted by Mr Salk
The interesting part is he doesn't let Ellen jack up his order with a messy cut/shuffle.
Very true. Anything other than a clean cut would change the pre-set, pre-memorized sequence of 52 cards. However, Ellen can cleanly cut the deck anywhere she likes and, as long as it is clean, her cut will not adversely affect the trick.
Originally Posted by Mr Salk
There are plenty of stacks that use neumonic steps so there is zero memorization needed.
I'm sorry, but no. This trick requires the magician to memorize a sequence of 52 cards. He may take as long as he likes to memorize the sequence: a day, a month, a year, a decade. Rest assured, the memorization process will take much longer than the ten seconds Karol purports to use during Ellen's show. Anyone with normal memory skills can perform this trick. No book needed. No money to Karol necessary. In fact, anyone who reads and understands this thread is able to do the trick now without any further studying. All you need is a plain deck of cards and the time necessary to memorize 52 items in order.

Please review the upthread spoiler by DevilsAdvocate, this one:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate
Here's a small hint:

CardSternEllen
1 2♠
2 A♥
3 10♦
4 5♣
5 5♠
63♥3♥
74♠4♠
810♠10♠
96♥6♥
106♣6♣
118♦8♦
12K♣K♣
135♦5♦
144♥4♥
156♦6♦
16J♦J♦
172♣ 
183♣ 
19Q♦ 
209♥ 
219♠ 
227♥ 
238♠ 
24q♣ 
253♦ 
264♦ 
27A♠ 
283♠ 
Well, it's more than a small hint, really.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top