View Single Post
Old 12th December 2012, 01:21 AM   #134
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
FFS its just a hypothetical. Why try pulling technicalities when you must surely understand what I am getting at.

But if you insist....

the five young Arab men boarding plane "A" are Muslim. You know this because you recognise them from when you were doing some contract work at the local mosque last week...

the five young Israeli men boarding plane "B" are Jewish. You know this because you recognise them from when you were doing some contract work at the local synagogue last week...

Put it another way, when was the last time a bunch of Israeli Jews hijacked an American airliner and flew it into a building.

Answer

Never.
I don't now why everyone has gotten this answer wrong. You go with the airline with the flight attendants with the biggest tits. Jeez - you people must never travel.

(That's in lieu of a serious response which the question does not merit. It assumes that it's a miracle that I've lived this long because there's been at least one Muslim on every flight I've been on in the last three decades. I can gather that by the sheer number of believers in Islam in the world and the destinations and airlines I fly on.)

Back on topic:

As others have mentioned, it depends on your view of what a "successful" war would entail.

If the object is killing the other guy and laying waste to his homeland, I'd have to argue the U.S. Civil War. If it's killing off or subjugating the other guy and taking over his land/country, then it's pretty hard to argue with the wars the Khan boys.

Except that the European conquest of the Americas, as mentioned above, would likely surpass the Mongolian hegemony in terms of scope and importance, as those cultures have been completely subdued, killed off, or replaced. In short, the Mongolian conquests were rolled back. The Spanish? Not so much. Spain got thrown out, but the culture and peoples they left behind are the same, only with different flags they salute.

But I'm sure there have been some classic tribal and cultural conflicts that literally wiped out the other country and/or people. Southeast Asia had quite a few of their ancient kingdoms and sub-cultures just rolled up by the winning sides, as did a number of tribal groups in Africa and South America.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top