View Single Post
Old 12th December 2012, 07:45 AM   #136
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
FFS its just a hypothetical. Why try pulling technicalities when you must surely understand what I am getting at.

But if you insist....

the five young Arab men boarding plane "A" are Muslim. You know this because you recognise them from when you were doing some contract work at the local mosque last week...

the five young Israeli men boarding plane "B" are Jewish. You know this because you recognise them from when you were doing some contract work at the local synagogue last week...

Put it another way, when was the last time a bunch of Israeli Jews hijacked an American airliner and flew it into a building.

Answer

Never.
NOt yet, anyway, so of course in the real world, if the five Arabs are allowed on a plane, it's pretty likely they will have been vetted up and down and sideways by the authorities, while the Israelis have been waved through, just as you would do. Since I would rather fly with the best-checked arabs in the world than with unknown Israelis who might be the kind of fanatics who killed Yitzak Rabin, the choice is clear. Besides, if everyone else thinks like you, I'll get a better seat.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top