View Single Post
Old 16th May 2018, 09:10 AM   #21
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
I think it's a smart move concentrating on their strengths in the face of crazy competition both foreign and domestic. Ford has made, in my view, very boring cars.
I always wondered how a car could be considered 'boring'.

Now, there are cars (such as high-end sports cars) that do look truly unique. And there are some cars that I think look absolutely horrible (Nissan Cube for example). But apart from that, a car is just a mode of transportation to get you from point A to point B. What exactly makes a car design 'exciting' to accomplish that?
Quote:
They can't compete with Toyota, Honda and Hyundai in the affordable sedan/coupe segments and forget the luxury segment.
Well, another poster did point out that the fusion does sell fairly well in Europe, so they can have SOME success in the affordable sedan market.
Quote:
On the other hand, their Trucks/SUVs are pretty strong. I think history has shown that enough people are going to buy large/utility vehicles no matter what happens with gas prices and the commercial vehicle segment will always be strong.
Well, first of all, "history" has actually demonstrated the opposite... there have been 2 time periods (during the 70s with the first invasion of the Japanese automakers, and the post-2008 recession where the car makers needed government bailouts) that there aren't always enough people willing to buy large gas guzzlers.

There are 2 issues at play here: can ford maintain its current market share in the SUV/truck market, and will the market remain stable or grow. The SUV market HAS grown, but history has shown that that may not always be the case. And while they have been successful selling Trucks/SUVs, there is always a chance that Honda/Toyota/Hyundai may end up taking over those markets as they did with the small car market.

So the concern is that Ford may eventually start to sell fewer gas guzzlers, and they won't have the small car market to fall back on.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top