View Single Post
Old 15th February 2019, 05:05 PM   #104
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I think discussions like this always come down to the distinction between belief and faith.

Belief can be based on evidence or experience. But faith is belief in the absence of evidence or proof. Faith is believing even though you have no good reason to believe. If there is evidence or reasoning to support the belief it is no longer faith. That is what separates religion from other beliefs in my mind. Religion requires faith, most other beliefs are based on some evidence.
Well, it's not really just religion. You mostly hear the word faith in conjunction with religion, only because the same thing is called by another name in virtually any other domain.

Namely, faith is what is called a "delusion" in any other domain than the exemptions made for religion or culture. No, really, beliefs held against evidence are by definition delusions. Again, in any other domain.

Quite literally if I believed that there's a peeping tom watching me in the shower, even when provably there's nobody there -- and for bonus points, my bathroom doesn't even have a window -- it would qualify as a delusion. But if I believe that Jesus watches me in the shower, you know, to make sure I don't wash my dick too fast or anything, then that's ok. Replace Jesus with Santa, and it's a delusion again. Make it a ghost, and yep, it's a delusion again.

"Delusion" having strong negative connotations is also the reason why you don't hear much about it outside of religion. People don't go around advertising their delusions, because they learn pretty quickly that it makes a negative impression. Which is why you don't hear many advertise that they have faith in ghosts or in Elvis still living, for example. Or not without first making sure that the other person is at least not opposed to such beliefs. You know, for example start with "I saw a documentary on TV" and back out if the other person goes some version of, "oh ffs, not that nonsense again."

Last edited by HansMustermann; 15th February 2019 at 05:17 PM.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top