Thread: [Continuation] Signs of the End Times - Part Two
View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2016, 06:15 AM   #243
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
I suppose an interpretation already so utterly devoid of any understanding and merit that it could not possibly fail any more than it already does is kind of infallible... from a certain point of view.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_even_wrong

Quote:
Not even wrong
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For other uses, see Not even wrong (disambiguation).
The phrase "not even wrong" describes any argument that purports to be scientific but fails at some fundamental level, usually in that it contains a terminal logical fallacy or it cannot be falsified by experiment (i.e., tested with the possibility of being rejected), or cannot be used to make predictions about the natural world.

The phrase is generally attributed to theoretical physicist Wolfgang Pauli, who was known for his colorful objections to incorrect or sloppy thinking.[1][2] Rudolf Peierls documents an instance in which "a friend showed Pauli the paper of a young physicist which he suspected was not of great value but on which he wanted Pauli's views. Pauli remarked sadly, 'It is not even wrong'."[3] This is also often quoted as "That is not only not right, it is not even wrong," or "Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!" in Pauli's native German. Peierls remarks that quite a few apocryphal stories of this kind have been circulated and mentions that he listed only the ones personally vouched for by him. He also quotes another example when Pauli replied to Lev Landau, "What you said was so confused that one could not tell whether it was nonsense or not."[3]

The phrase is often used to describe pseudoscience or bad science and is considered derogatory.[4]
I think the phrase "What you said was so confused that one could not tell whether it was nonsense or not," applies nicely to Paul's argument that the word "discovered" implies there was consent.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top